Rite of Confirmation



Document Title
Rite of Confirmation
Question from on 06-22-2007:
Hi Father, Recently, I have looked at my church's liturgikon for the Rite of Confirmation, and according to the rubrics, the essential part of the chrismation (sealing of chrism) what the bishop says is this, I sign thee with the sign of the cross and confirm thee with the chrism of salvation, in the name of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen. But, I realised that when the bishop confirmed me last year, he said something else, and there was no cheek slap, as according to the rubrics after the Peace greeting.
Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 06-25-2007:
I think that you are looking at a copy of the Rite of Confirmation from before Vatican II.

The current form of the sacrament of confirmation is, "Be sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit." This is said while laying the right hand on the person's head and simultanously anointing the forhead with the sacred chrism (the consecrated scented oil).

The slap is not included in the current rite as it was a later addition to the sacrament.


Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment