Priesthood and Autism



Document Title
Priesthood and Autism Question from on 06-22-2007: Dear EWTN, I am considering joining the priesthood when I get older. I was considered very smart in my religion class for confirmation, and people say I give good speachs. however there is one problem. I have high-functining autism, and social skills are not my best area. Does anywhere in canon law say I can't be a priest? Thank You

Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 06-26-2007: Canon law is not primarily a list of prohibitions but rather positive directives. However, relatively good physical and mental health are a requirement for ordination. I would say that, depending on the severity of your condition, you may or may not be accepted as a candidate for priesthood. I would imagine that your lack of social skills may be a major consideration as well. Perhaps a suitable religious order might also be a better fit for you (e.g., a contemplative order that requires less social interactions).


Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment