The use of incense





Document Title

The use of incense
Question from on 06-16-2007:
Dear Matthew Bunson

There was a time that when a protestant approaches me one time after serving at the mass asking me about the use and the reason of the use of incense in the mass. I'm very sorry also for being an altar boy and yet I don't know what's the real use of the incense. I wasn't able that time also to answer the question from a protestant. I was really asking because I really need an answer which is the spiritual reason regarding about the use of incense.

Thank you very much and God bless




Answer by Matthew Bunson on 06-24-2007:
Incense traditionally has several symbolic meanings. It represents the zeal with which the faithful should be consumed, just as the incense is consumed by the embers. Equally, it is a physical symbol of the so-called good odor of Christian virtue (hence it is said in the accounts of saints that they died in the odor of sanctity). Finally, it represents the ascent of our prayers to God. The smoke rises to the heavens just as our praises and supplications fly upward to God.




Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment