Communion at a wedding









Communion at a wedding


Question from on 06-16-2007:


Recently, at a wedding Mass, the priest said that anyone who wanted to
receive Communion could come forward. My first instincts were that he
did not have the right to do that, since it was inviting Catholics and
non-Catholics alike to receive. However, I thought that maybe this was
one of those circumstances where he could have been given permission by
the bishop. Is that possible?

Also,
I thought it would have been better for him to have said nothing rather
than to give outright permission. A person sitting beside me, whom I
know to be Protestant, asked me if she could. I chose not to answer her
since the priest had already given permission. What should I have done?
Thank you for your answer.



Answer by Catholic Answers on 06-18-2007:

M.H.--

You are correct that the priest
should not have made the invitation for all to receive Communion. There
are extraordinary circumstances in which non-Catholic Christians may
receive Communion, but this was not one of them.

I do not blame
you for being hesitant to contradict the priest's permission at the
time, especially since you were unsure of whether or not he was
correct. If there is a possibility that the priest could be correct, it
is better to defer to his authority. But, if you are certain he is
wrong, it is okay to whisper in answer to your friend's question, "No,
you should not receive Communion. I'll explain why later."

Michelle Arnold


Catholic Answers





Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment