Missing Mass









Missing Mass


Question from on 06-09-2007:


Are there any repercussions to missing mass? I have had to miss mass
one weekend this year because of issues going on at my workplace. Would
I be in trouble if I had to miss another mass? It really breaks my
heart to miss mass. I hope I am not doing anything wrong.


Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 06-19-2007:

It is a grave obligation to attend Mass on Sunday. If a person misses Mass deliberately and
knowingly and with no excuse (e.g., sickness), then the person must go to confession prior to
receiving Holy Communion.

If you have some other reason, known in advance, for missing Mass, then you should ask
your parish pastor for a dispensation in advance. For example, someone arranges a cruise
and there is no Mass that will be celebrated on the trip. Your pastor can dispense you from
the obligation (or commute it to something else, such as spending an hour in prayer,
attending a daily Mass prior to departure, etc.). The dispensation can be granted verbally.





Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment