My blessing of food...









My blessing of food...


Question from on 06-17-2007:


I just wanted to ask if it is okay that I bless the food at our dinner
table in this manner: "Bless these gifts oh Lord, which we are about to
receive from thy bounty." I then say "In the name of the Father, Son,
and Holy Spirit," and we all cross ourselves but I have heard many
others say "through Christ our Lord" at the end. Is my prayer improper
and not valid?


Answer by Catholic Answers on 06-18-2007:

Chelsea--

You may bless your food in any
reverent manner you wish. Your prayer is fine. When I first became
Catholic, I thought that the "...through Christ our Lord" was supposed
to be "...and please make us truly grateful." I soon learned the
"correct" way, but a friend of mine was so taken by my "mistake" that
she sometimes still adds that clause on after the "traditional grace."

Michelle Arnold


Catholic Answers





Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment