a tithing parish?









a tithing parish?


Question from on 06-06-2007:


I'm a new member in a parish. I just received my offering envelopes.
Printed on them it says this is a tithing parish and that full tithing
is 10% of gross income and that they ask half of that which is 5% of
gross income. My understanding is we are to support our parish the best
we can but the amount is up to us and God does not expect us to tithe
like it was expected in the Old Testament.

Does the priest have a right to print on the offering envelopes that the parish is asking 5% of our income?

Am I expected to give 5% of my gross income to this parish?

I give to my parish and I also give to other charities. Is giving to these other charities also a form of tithing?

Thanks.



Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 06-08-2007:

It is the customary interpretation to tithe 10% of ones income, 5% to one's parish and 5% to
other charities. I encourage my parishioners to do this. However, this is not a strict
requirement and canon law does not specify this. And of course, you are free to give more
than 10% if you'd like.

I would say that if you are happy with your parish and the priests and programs are all good
and solidly Catholic, not liturgical abuses, etc., then you certainly should be as supportive
and as generous as possible. Supporting the Church financially is one of the precepts of the
Church and is the primary way that most people participate in the mission of the Church.





Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment