Can Mass be Stopped









Can Mass be Stopped?


Question from on 06-16-2007:


If some members of the congregation are drunk and obnoxious,and are
racially prejudiced towards the priest and other persons present,can
the priest stop saying Mass and send everyone home?I once attended a
church where people behaved very disrespectfully but the poor old
priest tried to cope with them.He was a very devout and scholarly man
who warned the rest of us that we should not pass judgement and then
allowed the ignorant group to receive Communion,but I was appalled at
the racism and disrespect that was involved.I now hear that similar
behaviour occurred recently again at the same church and that the
present priest ignored it. I realise that the soldiers and onlookers at
Calvary behaved horribly,but do we tolerate such behaviour in front of
the altar nowadays?So, I ask,could a priest stop Mass,and at what
point?


Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 06-19-2007:

It sounds like someone needed to call the police. It is my understanding that, at least in the
United States, that such activity during a religious ceremony is illegal.




Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment