brown scapular









brown scapular


Question from on 05-17-2007:


I always wear a brown scapular (of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in case
there's more than one kind). My sister tells me it's useless and I have
my doubts as well. What is the Church's view on the brown scapular and
are my sister's misgivings about the promises of the scapular
warranted?


Answer by Fr. Jay Toborowsky on 06-05-2007:
If you see the brown scapular as a "magic charm"
that will somehow protect you from sinning, or will allow you to sin
without accountability for it, then she was correct, it would be
useless. Lots of people who are going to fly on planes suddenly equip
themselves with medals and scapulars, but haven't been to Mass or
Confession in years!

If
you see it as a Sacramental of the Church, an object which will draw
you deeper into your spiritual life, then it is helpful. The Sacpular
itself is not as important as the intentions of the person choosing to
wear it.





Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment