Should I allow my children to watch The Passion?
Question from Barbara on 3/13/2008:

My two older girls are 6 and 7. I feel comfortable with them watching The Passion of the Christ but the women in my circle of friends feel that this is absurd. Now I am questioning my gut feelings on the topic. My girls have already seen the movie last Lenten season and they both said it was a great movie. I am not sure now if it was a mistake to let them see it. We are gathering this Friday to view it again. Should I hire a sitter this year?

Answer by Catholic Answers on 3/13/2008:
Barbara--

While I may not have made the same choice to allow a 5- and 6-year-old to watch Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ, you know your daughters better than I could and you have the right as their mother to allow them to watch the movie. Simply tell your friends that this is the choice that you've made for your family and that they are free to make another choice for their families.

As for what to do this year: If you continue to feel uncomfortable about this, you might get the deluxe-edition DVD, which includes the edited version of the film that Gibson cut to make it more appropriate for younger audiences, and show that edited version to your family this year.

Michelle Arnold
Catholic Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment