Eucharistic Ministers


Question from Scott on 1/16/2008:  
Hello Sir or Madame

Am i out of line to investigate whether a Eucharistic Minister has recieved sacramental confession prior to giving me the Lord? It would seem to me that a person in a state of mortal sin touching the Host would definately effect something negatively.. I am always jumping lines at mass to see the priest instead of the Ladies decked out in there finest clothes. Covered in makeup an well i didnt see them in line for confession prior to mass (ever) ... And whats up with Altar Girls ? ..ppl need to know there place when around the tabernacle,, its not a free for all..

thanks Scott
Answer by Fr. Jay Toborowsky on 2/13/2008: 
A few things:

1. A person in Mortal Sin who "touches the Host" in distributing Holy Communion cannot "take the Jesus out of it". St. Thomas Aquinas pretty well answered that.

2. Yes, it would be out of line for you to ask an Extraordinary Minister whether they've received Sacramental Confession. ust as it would be out of line for the Extraordinary Minister to ask you the same question as you came up in line at Mass.

3. Be careful to make judgments. Perhaps it is the priest and not the "eucharistic minister" who is in a state of Mortal Sin?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Father, for answering the question like that, it shows your own true state of grace as a person who "judge(s) not, lest ye be judged". This is one of the most fundamental concepts of being christian,yet I see christians left and right making judgements upon others,as if that's what this is all about.People in elevated positions in the church would be most able to adopt this view,but I find them to be some of the more humble and empathetic people.I am about to start participating in my parish as a eucharistic minister,and that's what brought me upon this page.I feel so unworthy in the presence of the Lord...thank you for reassuring me, however indirectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And one more thing, I would love for the Father to address the other, less obvious but equally slanted question, about there being female altar servers.

    ReplyDelete