Conversion, Ecumenism, and the Significance of Liturgy and Worship


Question from Michael on 1/11/2008:

Hi, Fr. Levis

In my process of conversion, I am resigning from my old posts at the Methodist church because I am learning that in order to fulfill a real allegiance to the Catholic Church, we must only take part in the worship and duties of the the Church and no other. However, in reading some Church documents regarding ecumenism, there are some passages that seem to permit or even encourage participaton in non-sacramental liturgical and worship events in Protestant communities (though, not as a member of these churches of course).

I am confused because although some documents say these things, the advice that I have been given from knowledgable others seems to say that taking part in any Protestant worship (again, not as a member)--even if the worship is not contrary to Catholic faith, morals, and liturgy-- is illicit. I also don't fully understand why taking part in these kinds of liturgical activities is illicit.

My question concerns the above two paragraphs and boils down to this, what is the proper degree of interaction (not as a member of this old church, but as a faithful Catholic) and why; and how can I explain this to others so that they can understand and respect my actions?

Thank you very much.

Answer by Fr. Robert J. Levis on 1/11/2008:

Michae, I strongly suggest you study Vatican Council's Dignitatis Humanae of 1965m a clear and closely worded expression of what the Church expects of ourseves vis a vis our separated brothers. This is a most sensitive topic, this ecumenism, and is so convoluted that a short and a bbreviated synopsis for you now is unfair. Respect and concern must characterize all our ecumenism, but how much and how far? There has been so much ignorance on this topic that today religious indifferentism results. True? Please take some time to look at DH. God bless you. Fr Bob Levis

No comments:

Post a Comment