Pierced ears


Question from Marie on 12/13/2007:

Is it wrong to get your ears pierced? I know it says somewhere in the bible that you should not mark your body. My mother has always thought that this included piercing your ears. However so many good catholics I know have their ears pierced and they don't believe there is anything wrong with it. I would appreciate any advice on this matter!

Answer by David Gregson on 1/21/2008:

You're probably referring to Leviticus 19:28, "You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord." What is forbidden here is a practice associated with heathen beliefs, as the context indicates. Since pierced ears are not associated with heathen beliefs in our culture, there is nothing morally wrong with the practice. If cutting the flesh were condemned outright, then surgery would be forbidden, which it never has been by the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment