First Communion

Document Title: "First Communion
Question from on 05-10-2007:
I attended a first communion last Saturday, and couldn't beleive that every child received Communion-in-the hand, and received the Precious Blood drinking from the chalice...7 and 8 year olds.....Is this proper? And what are the rules of first communicants in the Church on receiving First Communion? Thanks and God Bless.....
Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 05-11-2007:
I celebrated first Holy Communion with my children this past weekend and most received Holy Communion in the hand and all received the Blood of Christ. I personally instructed all of my children how to receive both on the tongue and in the hand and told them that it was their choice. I told that that they would recieve both species (the Body and Blood of Christ) on their first Holy Communion and that, after their first Holy Communion, they could chose whether or not to receive the Blood of Christ in the future. (If parents request that the children not receivce the Blood of Christ, then I make exceptions privately. I always resect the will of the parents.)

So what I did and what you saw were completely within the norm of law."

No comments:

Post a Comment