Invalid marriage and Holy Communion;

Invalid marriage and Holy Communion;
Question from Linda on 7/28/2008:

Dear Father, I was married several years ago in a civil ceremony to a non-Catholic before I returned to our Catholic faith. I began attending church again after many years away, made a confession and began to receive Holy Communion. I did not understand at that time that my marriage is invalid in the eyes of the Church. I understand now that I may not receive Communion anymore. Returning to the Church has also made me realize that my marriage was a mistake. Father, is it a sin to leave this marriage now? What do I do about all of the times I have received communion not knowing I could not receive. I am heartbroken over all of this. Thank you and God bless you for your guidance, Linda
Answer by Fr. Jay Toborowsky on 7/30/2008:

Dear Linda, I'm surprised that, when you came back to the Church, you weren't asked about the marriage? What you need to do now is make an appointment with your local parish priest and talk to him about reconciling this marriage with the Church, possibly by having a ceremony performed that is called a "convalidation" ceremony.

1 comment:

  1. I had this SAME thing happen to me, I just found out Thursday actually. I was never told, nor asked when I returned to the Church. Take comfort in knowing that this CAN be resolved.