Attending a non-catholic wedding when one is a baptized catholic.

Attending a non-catholic wedding when one is a baptized catholic.
Question from SBM on 5/3/2008:

A very good friend has invited me to her son's wedding. Her son was baptized Catholic but is no longer practicing and is not having a sacramental Catholic wedding, rather, he is being married in a non-catholic church. Honestly, I'm torn. Part of me says I'm advocating sin if I attend. The other part says I may be missing an opportunity for evangelizing in the fashion of St. Francis of Assissi. "Evangelize, evangelize, evangelize!! And when absolutely necessary, use words." He also "evangelized" by his mere presence by walking through the streets and saying nothing. I'm not sure if it would be the same thing by my "presence" at the wedding. Most of all, I want to bring her son back to the Catholic church, not turn him further away by my actions. I'd also like to add that my friend was also torn. She asked two different priests, whom I feel are both true to the magisterium of the Catholic Church, whether she should go to her son's wedding. One told her that it would be a mortal sin; the other said he approved of her attending. She has chosen to attend. She said she got married outside the Church and was a baptized Catholic and later returned to the faith. To complicate matters further, this son saved her life. Is there anything stated in Canon Law that might be helpful in resolving this important matter? Thank you and God bless you. SBM
Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 5/5/2008:

This question, which I am asked repeatedly, is a moral question, not primarily a matter of canon law.

I would amend your second sentence to say, "Her son was baptized Catholic but is no longer practicing and is not having a valid marriage." That is a fact of canon law.

To attend an invalid marriage is a source of scandal, as it implies approval of the attempted marriage.

In such situations, I have suggested skipping the wedding ceremony and attending the reception. This will keep the door of communication open between you and the couple so that maybe some day in the future you can encourage them to convalidate the marriage and begin practicing their faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment