Protestant Baptism

Protestant Baptism
Question from Derek on 5/15/2008:

I was baptized in a Protestant church but have ceased attending church for a few years now. I still consider myself a Christian but do not find meaning in the services of Protestant churches. After some self-study, I'm considering joining the Catholic Church. Would I be required to attend the entire RCIA and be baptized in a Catholic church again?
Answer by Catholic Answers on 5/15/2008:

Derek--

Assuming your Protestant baptism was valid (i.e., it was done with water and the words, "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"), you would not be rebaptized. You would be received into the Church and confirmed. Although RCIA primarily is intended for unbaptized non-Christians, many parishes also prepare baptized Christians for reception into the Church through the RCIA program as well. Speak to a local Catholic pastor about the protocol in your area.

Recommended reading:

How to Become a Catholic

Michelle Arnold
Catholic Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment