Sacrament of Marriage

Question from anonymous on 10/18/2007:

Dear Fr. Levis,

When I was married over 20 years ago I was in a state of mortal sin. I have since gone to confession. My concern is that I feel there was no sacrament. I realize the God has forgiven me but does that automatically make a marriage sacramential. It was not on the day I took my vows. At least I don't think it was because of my sins. Please help me to understand this. Thank you so much for your time.

Answer by Fr. Robert J. Levis on 10/20/2007:

Anon, When you married in sin, you truly received the Sacrament of Matrimony on that day but not the grace of this Sacrament. The day you confessed your sins and were restored to grace, on that day, yes the grace of the Sacrament was given to you by God. Fr. Bob Levis

No comments:

Post a Comment