Adam and Eve


Question from Nancy on 10/1/2007:

Dear Dr Geraghty I hope that I am the right forum. I hope you can answer this question for me. When Jesus died for the sins of all, were Adam and Eve also forgiven for their original sin, or did that sin remain? Also were they allowed into heaven or are they in pergatory? These are questions that I have pondered for about 40 years now,I feel kind of silly asking this since I should know from catechism of old. By the way, I love this forum. Many Thanks and God Bless Nancy

Answer by Richard Geraghty on 10/4/2007:

Dear Nancy,

When Christ died on the cross, he opened the gates of heaven for Adam, Eve and their descendants. If they cooperated with the grace won by Christ, they would save their souls. But they would do this in this life where they would still be subject to suffering and death. The death of Christ, then, did not remove the penalty of suffering and death immediately. But it did remove the barrier that would keep human beings out of heaven. On the second coming, however, death and suffering will be defeated because all human beings will rise from the dead with their bodies. From then on there would be no more suffering and death for the saved. Nor would there be any death for the damned--but there would be plenty of suffering because they did not choose to cooperate with the grace Christ won for them on the cross. By the way, the tradition in the Church is that Adam and Eve were saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment