Communion on the tongue


Question from Anonymous on 10/3/2007:

I recently began receiving Communion on the tongue while kneeling at the Novus Ordo Mass. When the priest says "Body of Christ," am I to say "Amen" before receiving on the tongue, or do I just open my mouth and receive the Eucharist?

I ask because I was under the impression that when receiving on the tongue, you do not say "Amen," but the priest seemed irritated and firmly said "Amen" immediately after I had received Communion at a different church than what I normally attend.

Thanks for your time and God bless!

Answer by Catholic Answers on 10/3/2007:

Anonymous--

Yes, you should say "Amen" before receiving Communion, whether on the tongue or in the hand. When you approach the minister of Communion, wait for him or her to say "The Body of Christ," then respond with "Amen," then open your mouth to receive Communion.

By the way, you should not kneel to receive Communion at a Mass celebrated according to the ordinary form of the Roman rite. The normative posture for receiving Communion at such Masses is to stand.

Michelle Arnold
Catholic Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment