EWTN.com - What can laity do?

EWTN.com - What can laity do?: "What can laity do?


Please tell me what I can/should do about some people in my parish who not only leave mass right after receiving Communion, but they also heckle the priest during his homiies as though they are deliberately trying to provoke him. I can't find any 'official' teaching that specifically prohibits this deplorable behavior, so what are some steps I could take to stop this abuse?
Answer by Fr. Jay Toborowsky on 10/17/2008:

I don't think there is much you can do to stop the rude behavior of some people; asking them to stop may even encourage them to do so even more. What I'd suggest is that you give as much support to your parish priest as you can, sending notes of encouragement, complimenting his homily after Mass, etc.

There may not be any 'official' teaching prohibiting such behavior, but common sense and decency should take precedence. Just because there's no specific rule against my hopping on one leg during Mass doesn't mean I should do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment