Is this against Church law?

Is this against Church law?
Question from Anon on 7/1/2008:

A few weeks ago, I was in the sacristy of a church in which I help out. On the wall, there was a photograph of the Pastor and on either side of him were two altar servers – dressed as Deacons, in that they were both wearing Dalmatics. One of them is only about 16 or 17 years old, so definitely can’t be training to be a priest. The other is older, married and definitely not a permanent deacon – I’m confident of this as we don’t have permanent deacons in my diocese, and he has told me explicitly he isn’t one. I found out this wasn’t staged for the photograph, either the priest or adult server told me the servers involved had actually served Mass dressed as deacons. I made a comment to the adult server and the priest. The response from the adult server was “Anyone who objects needs their head examining, what was wrong with it? The congregation found it very moving.” The priest said “It was only done as a one-off on Easter Sunday, for the solemnity.” The attitude of both was any objectors need to “get a life.” I have also witnessed Masses in which these two individuals serve Mass, as normal servers, standing on either side of the priest for the Eucharistic Prayer, a bit like MC’s, without stepping back or genuflecting/kneeling at the Consecration. The adult server told me that the priest has asked them to do this. I have a gut feeling that both these cases were some form of liturgical abuse, even though the dressing up as deacons happened just the once – it just doesn’t “seem right”. Can you advise about these occurrences? Was I right to speak to the priest about it? Thanks in advance.
Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 7/7/2008:

What new abuses will people think of next?

It is not permitted for anyone other than an ordained deacon to vest and serve as a deacon at Mass. This is a grave abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment