where are all the ,married, saints,?

where are all the married saints?
Question from Mary on 5/26/2008:

I am sixteen years old and a practicing catholic, and I love to read about the lives of the saints who served as examples for all of us today and continue to do so. It is rather disappointing, however, to see that there is a great lack of saints that were married and had families. Please don't get me wrong, many of my favorite saints were priests and religious. Still, though most of the church is composed of the laity, most of the saints recognized today were either clergy or religious. I myself do not feel called to be a nun (at least I have not yet, who knows, things may change) but rather to marry and have a family, and I believe we need more examples of people who did precisely that. Could you explain to me why it seems that there are so few canonized saints that were married? Also, are there any books you know of that talk about these saints in particular?

Thank you for your time and God bless you for all that you do
Answer by Matthew Bunson on 6/11/2008:

You will be relieved to know that there are many saints who were married and who can serve as wonderful role models for couples. I would suggest the following books: Marriage as a Path to Holiness: Lives of Married Saints by David and Mary Ford; Married Saints And Blesseds Through The Centuries by Ferdinand Holböck, S.T.D.; and Married Saints by John Fink.

I hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment