Does the Catholic Church ban certain books?

Technorati Tags: , , , ,
Question from Patty on 4/17/2008:

Where might I find a list of books that are banned by the Catholic Church? I am a devout Catholic wanting to accept all the teachings of the Church. My friend told me that I was reading a book which the Church forbids me to read. Is there such a list? If so, I would gladly avoid any books that would endanger my faith. The "forbidden" book was Poem of the Man God by Maria Valtorta. Thank You, Patty
Answer by Richard Geraghty on 6/1/2008:

Dear Patty,

The Index of Forbidden books has a long and complicated history.(You can check in the Catholic Encyclopedia although it was published in 1913. Since then many things have changed. Also check Yahoo or Google) Practically speaking, your best bet to get a line on a book on theology or philosophy today is to look for the Imprimatur. Also check on the various Catholic web sites for views on current and popular books.

Dr. Geraghty

No comments:

Post a Comment