symbols allowed on the altar


symbols allowed on the altar
Question from on 07-10-2007:
I have been asked to make lace for an altar cloth at my parish. Along with many other symbols, I have been asked to include the Maria Regina symbol.

My devotion to Our Lady is extremely strong, however, I am concerned that her symbol, though welcome in other places, should not be included on the altar.

I have asked and searched for an answer, to no avail. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!
Answer by Colin B. Donovan, STL on 07-31-2007:
I assume you are refering to the "drop" which hangs down in front, or the sides, as opposed to the mensa (surface of the altar).

The drop usually has symbols of Christ or the Eucharist, but I don't think it would be out of place to include, among others and in a secondary way, a symbol of Our Lady, who after all was at Calvary. This would hold especially if the church was dedicated to Our Lady, or it was a season like Advent or Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment