confession

confession and St. Maria Faustina
Question from on 07-30-2007:
Dear Fr.

I have a question about a book I am reading, the diary of St. Maria Faustina Kowalska and I was hoping you could clarify something for me.

St. Maria Faustina wrote about a soul that is striving for sancity and how to benefit from confession. She said there were three things necessary: complete sincerity and openness, humility and lastly obedience. I understand the first 2 but not about being obedient. I don't know if you are familar with the book but it states that a confessor would be no help whatsoever to a disobedient soul.

I thought we are all disobedient souls and that is why we go to confession because we sin and we ask for forgiveness then get up again and strive for perfection.

St. Faustina says 'God lavished His graces most generously upon the soul, but it must be an obedient soul.'

Can you help explain her thoughts on this?

Much thanks and may God bless you abundantly! Marianne

Answer by Fr. Jay Toborowsky on 07-30-2007:
Dear Marianne, I do not know all the details of St. Faustina's book, and you may want to e-mail someone at the National Shrine of Divine Mercy to see if they can help with the details of her thoughts. Yes, our fallen nature means that we have souls that are more disposed to be disobedient rather than obedient, but that's the struggle in the spiritual life, to be obedient to the confesor's directives and help in living the moral life.

No comments:

Post a Comment