readings at a funeral liturgy

Document Title: "readings at a funeral liturgy
Question from on 04-24-2007:
Father-

I hope you can help even though this is not your forum.

I work in a Catholic parish, Father has asked me for help in addressing this situation because his schedule today does not permit him time to do the research. None of the priests I have contacted locally have encountered this situation.

The family of a deceased parishioner has chosen the readings for tomorrow's Mass of Christian Burial. In addition Psalm 23 (sung) for the responsorial Psalm, an Epistle and the Gospel, they have requested Psalm 27 ( The Lord is my light and my salvation)as the 1st reading.

I have looked at the Order of Christian Funerals, the GIRM and Masses for the Dead and can find no specific prohibition to using a Psalm ( read straight through without a response) as a 1st reading at a Mass- funeral or otherwise.

The Magnificat, Canticle of Zechariah and Canticle of Daniel occasionally appear in place of a Psalm- but is it acceptable to use a Psalm as a reading IN ADDITION to the sung responsorial Psalm?

While I realize the good Bishops cannot anticipate everything, I would think that if one or two specific books of scripture are considered inappropriate as r"

No comments:

Post a Comment