Covering of Staues During Holy Week

Question from on 03-29-2007:
I am a cradle Catholic and in my early 50's. As a child in the years prior to and during Vatican II, I recall that statues in my parish church were covered in purple from Palm Sunday to Holy Saturday.

At the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday night, at the singing of the 'Gloria,' and while the church bells were ringing, altar servers would go around the church and uncover all of the statues.

I find that there are very few parishes today that continue this custom. However, there is a Carmelite Chapel, not far from where I live, that continues to maintain this practice of covering statues during Holy Week.

My questions are these:

1.) When and where did this custom originate?

2.) What is the purpose behind this practice of covering statues during Holy Week?

3.) Since Vatican II, is this practice still allowed or is it discouraged?

Thank you so very much and God Bless you!

In Jesus and Mary, +John
Answer by David Gregson on 04-19-2007:
See, in our Document Library, Covering of Crosses and Images in Lent."

No comments:

Post a Comment