Eucharistic fast

Technorati Tags: ,
Question from anon on 5/22/2008:

Dear Father,

I have a question on Eucharistic fast.

I find that usually we start to receive Holy Communion approximately 15 mins. before end of mass. So if I want to attend a mass at 12 p.m. and I finish eating at 11:40 a.m., can I still receive Holy Communion? Or do I have to finish eating before 11 a.m.?

Thanks very much for your help and God bless you.
Answer by Fr. Jay Toborowsky on 5/26/2008:

This is a popular question that comes up often. But what happens if there is a different priest who says Mass faster? Or what happens if he has, say, laryngitis, and does not preach a homily? Now you finished eating at 11:40 and you're receiving Holy Communion at 12:25.

The best thing to do is to not eat for one hour before Mass is scheduled to begin. Therefore, a 12 noon Mass means no eating after 11am.

No comments:

Post a Comment