Brown Scapular and Marriage

Technorati Tags: , , ,
Question from Anonymous on 5/21/2008:

A while back I did the St. Louis Montefort devotion in preparation to wear the brown scapular. Right before I was to put it on, I met my husband. My grandmother and my mother advised me not to wear the scapular, claiming that it's the same as becoming a nun. I am happily married. Both my husband and I are very religious. We pray the rosary almost every night, go to mass every Sunday, etc... I gues because of the fact that we can procreate, it seems that wearing the scapular wouldn't be appropriate. Please inform me if that is the case. If not, then I would like to wear it as we are living in very grave times.
Answer by Fr. Jay Toborowsky on 5/21/2008:

My grandmother and my mother advised me not to wear the scapular, claiming that it's the same as becoming a nun.

No, the scapular is NOT "like becoming a nun". Becoming a nun is like becoming a nun. A scapular is a Sacramental, an item which leads us, through devotion, to draw closer to the Sacraments. Making the commitment to wear the Scapular does not bind one to the rules of a religious community.

No comments:

Post a Comment