communion cookie

communion cookie
Question from Ellen Simoni on 5/24/2008:

I have read all the previous answers, but in a Catholic church I visited last Sunday Father consecrated a nabisco-like wafer. (the kind of waffle like cookie filled with cream we can still buy in the stores made by Nabisco>) This did not have much sugar, if any (I'd like the recipe to make sure) and probably not leavened, but it was thicker than the regular wafer,crunchy, and oblong about 3/4 of an inch by 1 and 3/4 inches. I was so shocked when I got up close to receive I asked Father if it was really the body and blood of Jesus and he said yes. I took communion, but I figured it wasn't Jesus. After Mass the Priest was busy shaking hands, but another officious looking greeter was not so I asked him about it and he said it was mandated by the Bishop and besides it was more easily digested and tastes better. I was a visitor but their bulletin is full of ways to contact everybody in the parish and I can email the Pastor to ask for the recipe. So, if the cookie is made from wheat and water with no additives and merely poured thinly into a waffle making machine and cut in rectangles, it would be Jesus?

Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 5/26/2008:

If the bread is made only of wheat and water, it would be valid.

However, in order to also be licit, it must be made in the traditional form -- i.e., in the form of a host.

No comments:

Post a Comment