EWTN.com - Sunday donation

EWTN.com - Sunday donation: "Sunday donation


Dear Father, In the area where my family and I live, there are very few Catholic Churches, two of which we attend with regularity. In both, the behavior of the respective Pastors before the elections was disheartening, to say the least. One was busy pushing on the congregation a liberal agenda (jobs, money, and rights to all illegal immigrants and explicit encouragement to help illegals, even if it means disobedience to federal and state laws) instead of condemning abortion as murder. The other declared that pro-life individuals shouldn't get too worked up about the abortion issue because babies who are aborted 'are with God, so they are all-right' and we should just 'shut up' in order to show proper Christian love to the pro-abortionists. In light of this, my husband and I are wondering if it would be morally appropriate and permissible to give our Sunday donation to EWTN and pro-life groups instead of any local church. Would this be a proper corrective tool? (I searched the 'Previously Answered Questions' archive, but none seemed to deal with the case of somebody wanting to withhold ALL donations from local parishes.) Thank you for all your work and God bless. A Concerned Pro-Life Catholic
Answer by Fr. Jay Toborowsky on 11/28/2008:

>>>>>my husband and I are wondering if it would be morally appropriate and permissible to give our Sunday donation to EWTN and pro-life groups instead of any local church. Would this be a proper corrective tool?<<<<<

Well, one of the precepts of the Church is that catholics are obligated to contribute to the financial support of their parish, so I wouldn't stop all contributions. But you could hold back some of your weekly contribution and donate that part to a pro-life cause or to EWTN."

1 comment:

  1. Dear Fr. Toborowsky,
    You say that one of the precepts of the Church is that Catholics are obligated to contribute to the financial support of their parish. I once had a deep sense of obligation to contribute to my Parish and to all things Roman Catholic.
    That, however, was up until the VCII Reformation of 1962 through 1965, also known as the Second Vatican Council, stole my church from me and converted Roman Catholicism into something I did not, could not recognize.
    The extremes of this Reformation have made me very selective in my donations to anything labeled Catholic.

    ReplyDelete