Father Of Nine Preparing To Be Ordained Catholic Priest

There can't be many Catholic priests who have a wife and nine children present at their ordination. But that's exactly what awaits Deacon Ian Hellyer next week.

'I'm currently experiencing a funny combination of peace and excitement - with just an occasional moment of fear,' says the 44-year-old from Devon in England who, until a few months ago, was the Anglican vicar of five rural parishes.

'Over the past 10 years, though, I'd increasingly felt uncomfortable in the Church of England and found myself questioning more and more of its decisions and the direction it's going in,' he told CNA June 9.

Just before Lent this year, Hellyer made an announcement to his Anglican parishioners - he was leaving to become a Catholic.

'They were somewhat shocked, not least because my Anglican bishop wouldn't let me warn people about the announcement beforehand.'"
rm

No comments:

Post a Comment