The Pope's ring

Question from Claire on 4/23/2008:

I am in a class full of Evangelical Protestants and right after Pope Benedict left America they started asking all sorts of questions, but they asked me why the Pope has a ring. I wanted to give them the right information so I told them I would get back with them. Why is it that the Pope wears a ring?

Answer by Catholic Answers on 4/23/2008:
Claire--

From ancient times, kings and other leaders wore rings that they pressed in wax to seal documents. That seal showed that the document had their personal authority behind it. Although the Pope no longer seals documents with his ring, the tradition of his wearing a ring dates back to that ancient custom and remains a symbol of his authority as pope.

Michelle Arnold
Catholic Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment