Dipping Host


Question from D on 10/21/2007:

To Whom it Concern:

I went to a Cicerstan Monastery for Mass last weekend and I noticed something odd.

I should preface this with saying that the Mass had Georgian chants. During Communion the monks dipped the Host into the Cup while the laity just recieved the Host. From my limited experience, I have only seen that in those Anglican Use parishes but I am not sure if they are allowed to do that(the priest gave it to the lay recieving).

Is this allowed.

Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 10/22/2007:

It is permitted for a concelebrating priest intinct the host in order to receive both species together. It is also permitted for the minister to intinct the host and give it to the laity so that they receive both species together. However, in this case, the host must be received on the tongue. It is not permitted for a person receive Holy Communion to do the dipping him or herself (except for the case of the concelebrating priest).

Reception of Holy Communion by intinction is an accepted practice of the Roman rite, even if it is not widely practiced in all places today.

No comments:

Post a Comment