Making of a graven image

Document Title: "
Question from on 04-13-2007:
What is actually meant by the term in the first commandment 'You shall not make for yourself a graven image'. I understand myself that statues of the Lord, Our Blessed Mother and the Saints are not adored but help us focus on to whom we are speaking. My daughter commented on this directive that you are not to make a graven image. Please explain for me in more depth. God bless you. My daughter is married to a non practicing Presbetrian and I believe he has some objections to having Holy pictures in the home.
Answer by Fr. Robert J. Levis on 04-17-2007:
Dear Anon, We are not to make nor adore any statue, image, picture of something which we consider divine. This is simple enough. Notice the belief of the Jews, no pictures, no images, just a bit of decoration of their synagogue. God bless. Fr. Bob Levis "

No comments:

Post a Comment